Friday 29 November 2019

Critical Reflection

Module learning

When I just started out this module, I have many doubts about this module as I was afraid that I could not do well due to my poor English language skills. However, after completing 13 weeks journey with Prof Blackstone and my fellow classmates, I was able to achieve most of the objectives given in this module. I am very grateful for Prof Blackstone’s guidance as he played the biggest part in honing my English language skills in such a short time.

From writing a introduction letter, to writing this final critical reflection, I feel that my language skills have improved significantly. Furthermore, I have learnt how to cite professionally in APA style, which would be useful to me in the future. In terms of communication skills, I find myself being more confident to speak up and share my opinions with various groups of people. I believe I can further improve my communication skills by stepping out of my comfort zone more often and speak to larger groups of people.


Project learning

For our research project, our team have decided to research and work on issues pertaining to discolouration of potable water in pipes that supplies water into household. Proposing our solution for implementation at the upcoming Singapore Institute of Technology campus at Punggol. At the beginning of the project, my teammates and I were quite enthusiastic in coming up with ideas for our project. We pitched many ideas and eventually chose to work on this problem As we dive deeper into the project, there were some hiccups along the way and many opinions tend to clash with one another. We faced tougher challenges as we find our solutions to be flawed and was not feasible. Furthermore, we had the thought of changing our idea and start afresh. Fortunately, with the help from Prof Blackstone, we pushed on and managed to find a way out of this challenge. We became closer and was able to understand one another better after the tough challenge we experienced. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank my teammates for their contribution to this project and I really appreciate the effort that everybody put into this project. PURI-MORPH HORRAY!


Presentation showcase

During the presentation showcase which was held on 25th November, the team that really caught my attention was Team Bricknology. Despite being the last group to present, Team Bricknology held their nerves and gave the most spectacular presentation among all the groups. Each member has their own unique way of attracting everyone’s attentions with their confidence and engaging tone.

I find Team Bricknology’s topic can be difficult to grasp. However, they presented their topic very distinctly and can be easily understood by the audiences with their fluent speech despite having such an intricated topic to present. Moreover, they presented their solution with such a persuasive tone which makes their prototype look flawless. It was clear that the team has their content deep-rooted into their mind as they presented verbally confidence using only pictures on their slides. This shows that they have done a fantastic work in their project research. Furthermore, their body language was filled with confidence that makes the presentation look natural.

Overall, although they stumbled upon some Q&A parts from the judges, in terms of presentation, Team Bricknology did an awesome job. I find that a good presentation should not be just focused on comprehensive contents, but to also have the ability to grasp the audiences’ attention. To conclude, the presentation showcase provides a good opportunity for students to step out of their comfort zone and to gain valuable experience from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment